HJ: Kundalini awakening is typically a spontaneous occurrence that can be facilitated by a wide variety of methods and practices, many of which are listed below. There is no one definitive way to awaken this primordial force and you are encouraged to explore those practices which resonate with your unique temperament and disposition. Remember too that such things as a partial awakening do exist. Whatever chakra the kundalini energies rise to will give you an idea of where the work needs to be done in terms of removing blockages and also on a spiritual level, as each chakra corresponds to a specific set of learning lessons that we must learn and move through in order to reach higher levels of awakening and awareness.
Kundalini Practice Skills List
By Jana Dixon | Biology of Kundalini
With a kundalini self-care program we are literally capturing the energies of nature and putting them into our cells!
Kundalini will permanently rewire the bodymind to release the stored tension of the body armor, but one has to be physically/mentally/emotionally and spiritually developed enough to handle the kundalini. If there is a significant loosening of the armor without sustained integral practice and intent, then the armor will reinstate itself and rubber band back into place. Following are tools of self-recovery for the dispossessed self–for all we do to our self in the form of contraction, denial, negation, abuse, shaming, neglect in an attempt to avoid our True Nature. This set of kundalini coping skills is gleaned from spontaneous arising solutions stemming from many years of process, and merely hints at what is possible.
This list of practices and tools is not meant to disempower you to find your own way through the storm, for I think each of us can find whatever answers we need within ourselves. Thus a kundalini awakening is its own solution if we listen deeply and trust. Since it is the energy of individuation it is the source of creativity and gnosis. To find ourSelf we need not look beyond our Selves. A sovereignty that comes through another or needs the confirmation of another is not much of a sovereignty is it? Hence to thine own Self be true. I think a combo of strengthening, stretching, shaking, aerobic, listening, exploring, extending, feeling, fast and slow, grounding and vocalizing practices to be the “best.” Whatever we are called to do by the energy itself, and you will find kundalini literally commands you to be out in nature.
If ones spiritual focus does not actually contribute to an expansion and deepening of ones life and ones contribution to Life, then such a focus is a idle waste of time, consciousness and energy, and indeed a waste of Life.
- Gratitude–gets the whole ball moving to melt the fear and resistance to life that has solidified in the body. It also helps deal with the disorientation and vulnerability inherent in opening oneself up to the world. We don’t really know the meaning of gratitude until we experience the amplified love and heart expansion generated by a kundalini awakening. Gratitude is the measure of our aliveness. It is insurance against stress, hypertension and depression, and it increases happiness and efficacy.
- Big Fun Practice— Big Fun is the transcendent condition of metanoia. It is actually disembedded from body, mind, circumstance and conditions—it is a priori state or attitude—it is an unconditional perspective of sublime humor. Emotional self-perpetuation determines our experience of existence. Happiness fires up the prefrontal lobes and so “play" naturally makes us more creative. Novelty is a permutation that allows reconstruction and refinement. Thus because it increases consciousness in stream of daily life Big Fun is our growing edge and our highest practice! I want to distinguish between the normal way we think of pleasure and fun and Big Fun. Big Fun is an upheaval of our comfortzone, we are not just playing around, we are Really Playing in full originality and resourcefulness. That is we are performing in perfect sync in the moment without hesitancy, ego blockage or shades of depression that would pull us back from our edge. Big Fun is life in the raw. In Big Fun the “content" of our lives finds a peaceful resting place in the spaciousness of Big Mind and we have room to expand out to the totality of our lives periscoped into the moment. It is not the normal myopic-fun we try to have from a sense of deprivation with our addictions, substitute gratifications, entertainment, or social distractions. Big Fun is not of Thanatos, but of Eros so it is not had by “trying” but by “being.” By alignment of body, mind and soul to live the life of the Spirit. And since Spirit is already complete Big Fun is a liberating radiance rather than a coying need. Big Fun is transpersonal, it is transcendent of the life of the mind and body. Big Fun is transcendent of work, duty, family and relationships…it is a cathartic transmutation of daily life. It is the Grand Adventure…the dance of the Muse in the Eternal. It is the integration of the soul in ones lived experience, in the engagement of Kosmic Purpose…Big Fun is Nomind, Flow, “I and the Father are one," Noself; and the only thing standing in the way of Big Fun is fear. The Big Fun prerogative is to express ever more genuine and higher fun—to take fun where no man has gone before—to bring serious fun into the lives of others. To not just be pumped up on the hysterical pretend fun of Thanatos, but to be engaged in the real thing—Spiritual Fun (Eros). Big Fun is redemption, release, relief, purification, rarefaction, rebirth, redemption, forgiveness, salvation, sanctification, validation, absolution, atonement, transubstantiation, rebirth, innovation and revolution. Big Fun is the most strenuous practice demanding the most acute growth curve and pious effort to remain on focus as to the next spontaneous Big Fun action. Our experience will evolve over time to more genuine and deeper forms of Big Fun. How does ones Big Fun fits into the larger scheme of things, will it be a force for social change and transformation? How much Big Fun can I allow ourselves? What are the consequences of Big Fun? What am I doing here if not to have Big Fun? What is Big Fun in the 21st Century?
- Solar Plexus Breathing–Breathing and Toning are the number one kundalini coping skills. We can prevent morbid overextension of both the on and off sides of the nervous system by conscious breathing into the largest plexus of the body–the solar plexus. If we find ourselves either in a high or a slump then long walks focused on such solar plexus breathing help to integrate and balance the energy. This is the major way to cope with panic states, excess sex energy or excess energy in general when the sympathetic nervous system is hyperactivated. But also solar plexus breathing is especially important years after an awakening to aid in the integration and establishment of the spiritual will and prevent a morbid hyper-parasympathetic condition of stagnation and depression. The solar plexus is the seat of shame and one of the greatest areas that propagate self-division.
Vortex Zero-point Meditation—Spiritual myths and laws (formop) are “external" training in the ability to act automatically. But we need “inner" training on the ability to act in Kairos…that is in sync with the universe…in God’s time.
I found one method we can do this, I call it Vortex Zero-point Meditation! First you go watch some Schauberger clips at google video and look for the upward twisting vortex…imprint that image on your mind. While lying in bed, deeply rested, visualize the upward pulling vortex as you draw your body’s energies into it. You will find all thoughts and concerns disappear and the body may go through a series of “sudden falls” into increasingly relaxed zones as you do this. You may also find that your upward spinning vortex may take some twists and turns and even go downwards. Just watch this deviation, and eventually return once more to the powerful upward spinning tornado. Remember I said that toning helps to restore a harmonious higher frequency to our psychesoma, in a similar way that vortexing water helps to clear it from the memory of harmful pollutant frequencies. Well, this vortex meditation operates in a similar fashion to “wipe the slate clean” through the awesome power of the visual field and the inner kinesthetic sense of the mind’s eye.
- Full Already Breathing Meditation–Consider that the Golem in us is created out of deprivation, fear and pain. We can directly approach this state rather than working through the myriad of content within the Golem personality. You lie on you stomach in bed and breathe into your belly. On the in breath you think “Full” and on the out breath you think “Already.” You keep doing this till the sense of need, Void and lack of Presence in the belly is relieved. I think half hour sessions would be good for a start, tuning in nightly. By lying on your belly you get a tactile sense of the “hole” in ones belly and by felt-sensing the words “Full Already” it’s like calling ones spirit home. The more you do this the more you get a sense of what it is you are depriving yourself of, your “precious” Presence, and what being Full Already means in all facets of ones life. Happiness comes down to our ability to generate unconditional joy as our baseline state. The karma of our daily life reflects our capacity to en-joy ourselves…that is to fill ourselves with joy simply through breathing and being alive. I notice that if you are mindful of the air atoms hitting the nostrils, you can actually generate en-joyment. Then once is the chemical state of en-joyment, then the duality/samsara is not as convincing, we do not get “stuck” so much.
- Rejuvenating Breath–As you exhale: First you tone Saah, this empties the bottom of the lungs, then Huum, this empties the middle of the lungs, then Ommm this empties the top of the lungs. And you carry the ommm up into the head. The effect of this is quite refreshing. Another type of regenerating breath that is good for energy integration during panic attacks or heart expansions is Fish Breathing. The mouth is completely relaxed an open, you breath in and out of the mouth without a pause between in and out breath. This is especially effective while walking. The continuous, nonpause breathing can be done through the nose also when needing more brain power during peak kundalini activity; make the inbreath nasally and the outbreath throaty.
- Toning–Mantra is the main method of treating consciousness and is helpful for healing all levels of the mind inner and outer. The sound and breath combination help move cerebrospinal fluid which cleanses the brain and spine. Lie in a deep hot bath and hum one tone on the expiration of one breath. You will notice that your tone wavers, perhaps due to the spasticity of the diaphragm. If one continues using this technique regularly perhaps with both higher and lower tones, the diaphragm should strengthen and release its spasticity through the vibration. Joe Alexander says toning works better than any other self-healing tool. I cannot stress enough that toning and mantra are the most effective tools we have for integrating energy during an awakening and helping the kundalini to clear through blockages. Thus if you have any difficulty at all with kundalini I suggest half an hour of toning a day…keep it simple, either Huuu, Mooo, Om or Eeee will do, or whatever sound you are drawn to.
- Syncopated Toning–One day I found a neat affect when I was sitting down by the river near a little waterfall/rapids…and started to Huuu. Then I toned vowel sounds very loud…and I noticed that when the tone is directed toward the rapids, the air filled with the sound of the rapids creates an interference pattern with the tone one is emitting and what ends up happening is a staccato vibration in the diaphragm created by the interference pattern of the merging sounds. In this way the effect of toning on the body is greatly amplified when the tone is directed at the noise of the falling water.
When each tone finds Atonement with the river sound the staccato effect is “felt” and heard. If the tone is slightly “off” in relationship to the river the syncopation effect doesn’t occur. However the sensitive body-voice naturally tunes to the correct tone…nature the great tuning fork. The syncopated toning I found July 2002 when in extreme horniness with the kundalini…I went down to the river to try and get some relief and found that staccato effect…I was so blown away, I thought I had discovered a new law of the physical universe, of course this distracted me from my oppressive sex energy. Once the diaphragm learns how to do this you can retain the staccato ability even without using a river when the kundalini light is highly active.
- Excess Grounding–In July 2000 my Christ Heart or the Solar Heart was coming on daily as I walked outside and as it did I was being pulled into the earth with such force that I found it hard to walk. To ease the grounding I learnt to lie flat on the ground with my spine on the earth…this greatly speeds up the grounding process, so that when I stood up again I could walk around with ease. From grounding in this way there was less “pull” on my heart but the heart expansions would then break open my chest. To take the pressure off my heart I remembered that apes beat rhythmically on their thymus when nervous…this thumping on my chest helped to take the unbearable tension off my expanding heart. So when the gravity warping and grounding pull come one with the Solar Heart first lie on the open ground for at least half an hour, then thump the sternum. Also a repolarizing technique when one is radically being pulled into the ground, is to sunbath exposing ones genitals to the sun.
- Increase Grounding— How to prevent your kundalini from blowing up your computer? My kundalini energy used to turn the radio or CD player on spontaneously at 3am in the morning during my awakening, but I didn’t have computer problems. The primary grounding procedure is to lie your spine on the earth or rock for half an hour. Hang out at a stream or waterfall while you do this and you get bonus points. The Spinal Shower is a great way to for remove extra static energy (see below). Need I say that sex will help reduce extra brain electric interference, but it also will increase kundalini. Dancing would be good. Put some more green plants around your computer, and if you are still having problems you might want to invest in an inexpensive negative ion generator for your computer room or an indoor waterfall. Grounding exercises include lying on ones back and pushing ones feet against a wall or tree. Standing in Haka position like a Maori, which is kind of like a gorilla stance and stamping one leg at a time…actually doing the Haka itself with facial expressions, vocals, hand and feet movements is a big bonus…watch the All Blacks prior to a rugby game for how to do it. Of course there is the traditional method of grounding…horse riding, gardening or farming. Drive around in cars less, and spend more time outside of buildings. Move to Hawaii or vacation there, it’s the primary grounding place on the planet. Meditate at sunset on iron rich rocks. Hug a tree, or go to sleep under trees. Any kind of body-work, swims or water therapy. Clay body pack. If you have synthetic carpet in your computer room it might be best to tear it up and put something more natural down, either a wool carpet or wood or something. Get a kitty or dog to pet.
- War Haka—The haka is a Maori war chant that precedes battle, in order to motivate the warriors psychologically. it is delivered with loud shouting and forceful flexing arm movements, to invoke the god of war and to discourage and frighten the enemy. It involves fierce facial expressions and grimaces, poking out of the tongue, eye bulging, grunts and cries, waving of weapons and rhythmic thumping of ones thighs, biceps and chest. The hands, arms, legs, feet, voice, eyes, tongue and the body as a whole combine to express courage, annoyance or aggression. The haka is an excellent kundalini tool, both for raising kundalini, freeing its movement and for grounding and integrating the energy. It will also enhance confidence and improve the immune, lymphatic and circulation systems and clear the lungs. Also will also eliminated stagnant energy from the nervous system and aids in the liberation of pent-up or repressed emotions. www.newzealand.com/travel/about-nz/features/haka-feature/haka.cfm
- Animal Yoga—To reinstate our connection with the planet and the deeper parts of ourselves this practice of animal yoga is done in natural environments…in your back yard, a park or wilderness. First ground the body by lying on both your back and your front on the grass for a while. Then using the nature around you—the grass, the trees, the rocks—put yourself into various animal postures while feel-sensing yourself as that animal. Some possible animals to try are the dog, cat, frog, rabbit, seal, monkey, turtle and bear. Use the full tactile impact of the environment around you to get deeply into the various postures to become the spirit of the animal. Because it is an attempt to more fully enter the electromagnetic sensorial environment, animal yoga is best done in the nude if possible. You will find this deeply reviving, integrating and centering.
- Yoga–The evoking and yoking of Spirit via the Grand Alignment of body, mind and soul–is the source of our muse, our noble destiny, our soul-work (Dharma), our security, our financial integrity/right livelihood, our spiritual worth/inherent nobility and our happiness.
- Hanging–Hanging from the hips over a bar 10 minutes a day is the best place to “start" our kundalini skills practice. I think it the most significant factor in “sustaining" a de-contraction progress. It is a general pick-me-up and the more pick-me-up we do, the higher our general operating mode. The higher our baseline level then the higher we ascend during an expansion of consciousness, and the more likely we are to have the resources for stabilizing, substantiating and gaining productivity from our excursions into deeper aspects of ourselves. It opens the pelvis to energy from the earth bringing new life into the legs, elongates my spine giving the nerves new life, and feeds the brain of course by being upside down. It allows the sympathetic trunks and plexus to be fed better with the decompression of the spine, and new blood/lymph/O2 entering the area. Hanging is a catalyst to metabolism and consciousness in general, due to increased blood to the brain, but also through extra lymphatic stimulation. The bar should be about 1.5″-2″ wide; put a towel over it for padding; hang from the hips with both the arms and legs hanging free off the ground. Start off at 5 minutes in the morning, and 5 in the late afternoon or so. Do not do handing during major heart expansion periods, or during times of high blood pressure in the head associated with sympathetic nervous system hyperactivation.
- Spinal Rebirthing–I had a dream that I did a spinal extension technique on a young woman who had been affection deprived in childhood. She crouched on the ground (in a squat position on her feet with hands on the ground in front) and I put my hands on either side of her spine at the back of her chest. She pressed up into my hands, while I pressed down against her. Her spine cracked about 10 times.
This spinal compression/extension can be used at the bottom of the spine by pushing up into a therapists hands with the legs. In the middle of the spine by pushing up on all fours and at the top of the spine by pushing with the arms. It is the most cathartic and radical form of back release I have found. Theory being that the contraction can be released by overextending already contracted muscles. When they are relaxed they let go further than they were originally. Emotionally the burden is lifted once the tension is acknowledged, rather than carrying the load around for years…making to body numb with pain. With spinal rebirthing we “feel” into the numbness and recover what was lost to us due to the freeze response.
- Presses–To assimilate kundalini some strengthening integrating exercises might be in order. The upper-body wall press is perhaps the perfect exercise for integrating heart expansions. I found that when the autonomic shock of the white death made me “not in my body” th