HJ: The title of this article cannot accurately capture the significance of its contents. Why, you ask? It is because these simple, daily practices are what truly produce the greatest transformation in ones life. We are taught in many ways to believe that spiritual transformation happens in a brilliant instant of realization, but in reality it is almost always the day to day decisions and thoughts we make and hold that have the strongest influence on the development of our conscious awareness. This is the essence of mindfulness — being aware of our thoughts and keeping them in alignment with the truth of our being. Therefore, simple ways to stay spiritually connected in your day to day life, like the ones listed below, are actually very powerful tools for transformation as they are quick ways to keep us in alignment no matter what is happening around us.
Focus in on the ones that resonate with you and find time to remind yourself of them throughout the day in whatever way works for you.
Marianne Williamson: 10 Ways To Stay Spiritually Connected
By Marianne Williamson | Marianne
Whether you practice a traditional religion or relate to a more universal spirituality, these steps will help you tap into a sense of unlimited peace.
1. Recognize your Creator. Think on this: There is a supreme power in the universe that is bigger and more powerful than your small mortal self. This step makes you humble.
2. Seek opportunities to put more love into the world. Strive to be a vessel of love, to fill the world with more compassion and kindness. This step makes you loving and lovable.
3. Set aside time each day to spend in spiritual reflection and contemplation. Dwell in the presence of the divine: Your path may be to pray, meditate, read spiritual material, take a long walk through nature—or all of the above—but an optimum practice includes both morning and evening sessions of at least 20 minutes each. This step makes you strong.
4. Become more accepting. With every interaction, surrender any tendency to judge another person. Pray for a more accepting heart. This step makes you gracious.
5. Forgive anyone you have not forgiven. Whenever you withhold forgiveness, you keep yourself bound to your own feelings of guilt. This step makes you kind.
6. Recognize your mistakes. Admit where you yourself have been wrong, and be willing to be corrected. This step makes you responsible.
7. Try to see the good in others. When you’re tempted to judge someone, make an effort to see their goodness. Your willingness to look for the best in people will subconsciously bring it forth. This step makes you positive.
8. Take stock of your thoughts and behavior. Each night ask yourself, when were you negative when you could have been positive? When did you withhold love when you might have given it? When did you play a neurotic game instead of behaving in a powerful way? Use this process to self-correct. This step makes you grow.
9. Bless the world. Pray not just that your own life will be blessed but that blessings be poured on everyone. This step makes you beautiful.
10. Use each interaction to be the best, most powerful version of yourself. Try to rise to the occasion. Be the most wonderful expression of you that you’re capable of. This step makes you a conduit of God’s love.