HJ: A little preface is due here. Any recommendations for alternative medicines, foods and herbs you come across on the Healers Journal are the absolute pinnacle of what is available in the field of holistic, spiritual medicine. This is a subject very near and dear to my heart and I have spent countless years researching, learning and practicing the intricacies, secrets and laws of these modalities. I am literally giving you all the benefit of my vast experience in this field in the hopes that you too may benefit just as I have, while avoiding many of the mistakes I’ve made over the years following bad advice — most of it from naturopaths, doctors and other well intentioned professionals. The fact is, that these professions are often constrained to accepted mainstream practices whether holistic or otherwise and many times they are erroneous. This was learned through much trial, error and costly personal experience. There are certain doctors that wish to challenge mainstream notions and push the envelope, creating innovation, discovering new healing modalities, and redefining what is possible with health and to them I say thank you.
The point is, what is offered to you through these pages is nothing short of the best available and I sincerely hope you take this information and run with it. It will only lead you to higher health and happiness.
Reishi Mushroom is perhaps the most beloved of all precious foods. Called Ling Zhi – “The Mushroom of Spiritual Potency” in Traditional Chinese Medicine, It holds its place as wonderful ingredient in a healthful life.
The Chinese have traditionally claimed that Reishi promotes calmness, centeredness, balance, inner awareness and inner strength. They have used it to improve meditative practices and to protect the body, mind and spirit so that the adept could attain both a long and healthy life.
Reishi’s first detailed description was written in Shen Nong’s Pharmacopeia, a book attributed to the legendary herbalist-emperor Shen Nong (Han Dynasty, 206 B.C.~ 8 AD). Reishi was classified by Shen Nong as a superior herb that may be taken continuously without side effects. A “superior herb” was defined as a substance that serves to maintain life, causes no side effects by continuous use, and promotes radiant health and long life by helping to harmonize the functions of the body, mind and spirit. Images of Reishi Mushrooms are prolific throughout ancient Chinese Culture and are joyfully presented by wonderful cast of revered legendary characters, Taoist Sages and Buddhist Bodhistvas.
Reishi is one of the most potent adaptogens available to modern society. Adaptogens are those herbs and substances that increase the body’s resistance to stress and help it overcome all health challenges more quickly. Adaptogens are defined as substances which positively support the body to reduce or increase the body’s actions as appropriate. Reishi is believed by Japanese and Chinese researchers to have a regulatory effect on the immune system, raising immune function in cases of immunodeficiency and reducing the excesses associated with auto-immune conditions.
Reishi is the most studied natural substance on earth and science continues to show up remarkable functions its active ingredients produce. Some pharmacological effects of Reishi extracts in vivo and in vitro include:
(for references see Hobbs, 1995)
- Anti-allergic activity
- Bronchitis-preventative effect, inducing regeneration of bronchial epithelium
- Antibacterial, against Staphylococci, Streptococci, and Bacillus pneumoniae (perhaps due to increased immune system activity)
- Antioxidant, by eliminating hydroxyl free radicals
- Antitumor activity
- Antiviral effect, by inducing interferon production
- Lowers blood pressure
- Enhances bone marrow nucleated cell proliferation
- Cardiotonic action, lowering serum cholesterol levels with no effect on triglycerides, enhancing myocardial metabolism of hypoxic animals, and improving coronary artery hemodynamics
- Central depressant and peripheral anti-cholinergic actions on the autonomic nervous system reduce the effects of caffeine and relax muscles
- Enhanced natural killer cell (NK) activity in vitro in mice
- Expectorant and antitussive properties demonstrated in mice studies
- General immunopotentiation
- Anti-HIV activity in vitro and in vivo
- Improved adrenocortical function
- Increased production of Interleukin-1 by murine peritoneal macrophages in vitro
- Increased production of Interleukin-2 by murine splenocytes in vitro
Key active constituents:
- Beta and hetero-Beta-glucans (antitumour, immunostimulating )
- Ling Zhi-8 protein (anti-allergenic, immuno-modulating)
- Ganodermic acids triterpenes (anti-allergenic agents, cholesterol and blood pressure reducing)
“It may prove to be the greatest prevention against cancer, because it helps us to protect ourselves by our own power.” Dr Gabriel Cousens
Reishi is a very potent immune system and longevity tonic. Traditionally used to “nourish the heart and pacify the spirit” it has also been found to have numerous other health benefits, including:
- Liver protective
- Regarded as one of the most potent shen tonics
- Improves circulation
- Protective against radiation, free radicals and other environmental stressors
- Anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-fatigue, and anti-stress
Kee Chang Huang reported that reishi “exerts a synergistic effect with other anticancer chemotherapeutic agents or radiotherapy, to augment the clinical therapeutic effect in the treatment of cancer patients” (1999).
Reishi has been shown in several studies to lower cholesterol levels, helping to prevent atherosclerotic changes in the blood vessel walls (reported in Huang, 1999).
Traditionally Reishi is considered to nourish all 3 treasures. Jing, Chi and Shen are all fed by this wonderful gift from our natural world.
The once extremely rare and precious Reishi mushroom is now cultivated with superb results. This means that more people than ever people can experience consuming Reishi. SunPotion uses a wonderful full-spectrum Reishi product. Cultivated under strict, Organic protocols in USA, Sun Potion Reishi uses a blend of different Reishi species to create a full-spectrum mycoproduct with all the naturally occurring anti-bacterial, anti-viral, immune modulating, and blood pressure regulating properties that Reishi has been known for throughout its long history.
SunPotion Reishi Mushroom Powder is excellent consumed in tea either on its own or blended with other herbs such as Cordyceps. In the SunPotion family a tea of Reishi and other blood building foods such as He Shou Wu is considered the perfect night cap to help calm the spirit and invest in a bright tomorrow.
Premium Quality Organic Reishi Mushroom Powder Available From: Sun Potion Transformational Foods (Healers Journal Recommended)